Director of Development, Working America
Working America, the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, is the fastest growing organization for working people in the country. With more than three million members, Working America recruits and mobilizes people who do not have a union on the job in support of working families’ issues.
The Director of Development is a senior-level position reporting to the Executive Director. Working collaboratively in a team-oriented, mission-focused environment, the Director of Development is responsible for the implementation and analysis of a fundraising program for Working America, a 501(c)(5) labor organization, and its partner organization, the Working America Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) educational organization.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Help develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan to raise money from diverse sources to support Working America’s political and educational work. Those sources include foundations, labor/allied organizations and individual donors. This requires consulting and collaborating with the Executive Director and others from the senior management team to align fundraising activities with organizational goals.
- Identify, research, prospect and cultivate a robust portfolio of donors for individual programs and general support;
- Manage Working America’s current portfolio of donor relationships;
- Identify, research and develop opportunities to expand Working America’s profile with the donor community;
- Write grant proposals and reports to grant-making institutions ensuring that appropriate staff members are involved in a timely manner and all organizational deadlines are met;
- Develop and manage special events;
- Effectively recommend hiring, promoting, demoting, disciplining and termination of development staff;
- Train staff in development policies and practices in compliance with legal and organizational requirements;
- Develop and maintain the necessary infrastructure for smooth development operations (case statement standards, development database, pledge tracking, etc.);
- Five to ten years’ experience in managing multiple fundraising strategies and diverse funder relationships, including a verifiable proven track record of successful fundraising;
- Direct experience with donor solicitations including initial communications, presentations, proposal development and relationship management;
- Excellent oral communications, writing, editing, critical and strategic thinking skills;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- A professional or volunteer background that includes a strong orientation to issues affecting the lives of workers, or a passion for social change with the ability to convey enthusiastically the work of the organization—knowledge of the labor movement a big plus;
- Entrepreneurial, innovative mindset, high level of integrity, and excellent judgment and discretion;
- Expertise in current fundraising techniques and major gifts fundraising, including use of donor and client management databases. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time;
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours as necessary.
• Washington, DC
• Position Type: Full-time/Regular
• FLSA classification: Exempt.
• Competitive salary includes medical insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution.
Working America is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply as soon as possible. Very competitive salary, and a generous benefits package is included. Job location is Washington, DC.
Interested applicants should send resume, brief cover letter that addresses why you want to work with this organization, and at least three professional references to
Jobs@DemocracyPartners.com, please include your name in the subject line.
References are not contacted until you have had a successful interview and are notified. Separate from other materials please send salary history, or any salary requirements or range. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity and democracy make us stronger. To that end, WA seeks to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, religions, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Our partners at Digital Turf push the envelope (get it) with years of experience designing various successful print media campaigns for a wide array of clients. Using a combination of bravado and sheer talent, our team is highly specialized in creating stuff like mailers, brochures, business cards and flyers. Check out our work and learn more about our particular brand of awesomeness.